Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ten Versatile Factoids About Me

Not much has been going on this week. I've been feeling a cold coming my way for awhile now, and I'm sort of at that point where I wish it would just hit me already so that I can move on with my life. Highlights of the week include: trying to cure a toothache with tequila, surviving a lot of blood, sweat and tears (aka a dentist visit),  my discovery that Season 4 of Gossip Girl is now on Instant Netflix, the realization that this is useless, since I am still without internet, and a bunch of family dramarama. The two high points: a strong, fast 4+ mile run on Tuesday night (up hills!!!) and hiking on Sunday with Ashleigh and Steph... though it turns out that you use entirely different muscles when hiking than running. Who knew?!

Speaking of Stephanie, she nominated me for a Meaningless Blogger Award! Thanks, Steph!


As part of my reign, I'm supposed to divulge 10 interesting factoids about myself so that my legions of adoring fans can learn more about me. Obviously, I don't write about myself enough. Anyway, without further ado:

1. When it comes to air hockey, I am a BAMF. You'd never know it looking at me, but I can whip that puck around a vibrating table like nobody's business. Pair that with amazing defensive dexterity, and you get a record that impresses even the most muscle-headed men.

2. Maybe I'm still traumatized from reading The Lovely Bones, but I have a very real fear of sinkholes.

3. My family is cursed. If there is a one-in-a-million probability of something happening, the odds that someone in my family has experienced it are disproportionately high. In the past two years alone, members of my immediate family have survived a 5-time rollover at 60mph, a black widow bite, a swarm of killer bees delivering numerous stings to the head and neck, swine flu and countless other minor injuries/incidents.

3. The only thing I ever wanted to be growing up was a lawyer. Specifically, I had dreams of being a litigator (that's the scariest type of lawyer). I even took three semesters of Latin in college because I'd heard it would help me prepare for the LSAT and law school. As it turned out, I was actually pretty good at it, and briefly toyed with the idea of dual majoring in the subject. Then I realized that in the time it took me to conjugate and decline a bunch of words in a dead language, I could have made it through, like, an entire box of Franzia. Needless to say, I did not decide to pursue law -- but I did learn many valuable lessons. Semper ubi sub ubi.

4. I always capitalize Professor and Instructor when writing. It's a habit I've carried over from my job. Working in academia, you learn all kinds of random things that, should you NOT do them, will piss an awful lot of people off. For the record, I also capitalize Associate and Assistant Professor, as well.


5. I have a freckle in my left eye.  Sure, the Postal Service kind of put a damper on it for a little while there, and it's not as cool as Jessica or Leah and their multi-colored peepers, but it's mine and I love it.

6. Sometimes, I pick a random theme for my clothing in the morning and then come to work dressed in the theme. Previous muses include: Joan Holloway from Mad Men, Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girl, Hanna Marin from Pretty Little Liars, 50s Housewife and Michael Jackson. My coworkers are used to this and rarely comment anymore, sans the time I was told I looked like, "one of those flight attendants on an Asian airline". I was going for "Beatnik Poet." It was a proud moment.

7. Most of my college friends call me by my last name. Call it the Curse of the Caitlin/Katelyn/Kaitlin, but there were just so many of us trolling around campus that there was no other way to keep us all straight.

8. I thought the Bunny's name was Pat until I was 20. It was standing in the middle of a Barnes and Noble, home from college and surrounded by my Ivy-league/small liberal arts college friends, when I first looked over, saw the children's display of Pat the Bunny and, for the first time, noted, "Guys... the bunny's name...it's not Pat, is it.....".

9. Lipton Noodle Soup is my ultimate comfort food. Yes, the kind that comes in an envelope. Scary ingredients? Check. Enough salt to turn an elephant to jerky? Pass it over. Freeze-dried chunks of fake chicken? Yes please. You can keep your Kraft, Cadbury and Idaho Spuds; Lipton Noodle Soup is where it's at!

10. I once changed pop culture history. When I was 9, I was playing Saved By the Bell: The Game with my mom. One of the questions I got asked was, "What was the name of the product that Jessie and the gang created to get back at Zack in marketing class?" with a list of possible answers. Obvs, I answered "Buddy Bands" without a thought. Lo and behold, my mom informed me the correct answer was "Love Cuffs," prompting me to inform her that Love Cuffs were what were created at the end of the class by merging Friendship Forever and Buddy Bands, and that the answer card was wrong. She lectured me about being obstinate, contradicting an elder and being a sore loser, then told me she would never play another game with me again. In my anger, I wrote a sternly-worded letter to Pressman, Inc., yelling at them for ruining my life. I forgot about it, but it turns out my Dad didn't. He mailed the letter and, about two months later, I received a reply from the CEO of Pressman, informing me that I was, in fact, correct, the product WAS called Buddy Bands, and that the card would be corrected in all future printings of the game. I still have that letter.

So, there you have it! Ten totally useless but true facts about moi.

I'm supposed to now pass this award to another blogger who strikes my fancy. However, I suspect that most of you left on my Reader have already participated. If, however, you have not, but would like to, consider yourself nominated and let me know you did it, so I can come stalk you!

Or, feel free to tell me something random about yourself in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Love this list! Espcially the tidbit about how you changed pop culture! :) Amazing. SBTB fanatics everywhere have you to thank.

    P.S. - Love air hockey! But I suck at it.

    ReplyDelete