I'M A MARATHONER!!!
I started out as the person who said I wouldn't run if you chased me. Throughout my teens and early 20s, I proclaimed that, should the world ever be plunged into a zombie apocalypse, to steer clear because I'd have a craving for brains since I'd be caught about 30 seconds after the rampage started. Then, at 23, I was dealing with the post-college "adjustment period," and after dealing with some particularly ridiculous friend drama, left my apartment in a huff and somehow wheezed my way to the end of the block. That simple act sparked a two-year "self-improvement" project, leading to my first half marathon in 2011. In spring 2012, I injured myself five weeks before my second half, leading me to spend almost an entire summer in a walking boot. Vengeance was mine this past May, when I ran that half and PR'ed by 21 minutes. With that feat under my belt and the liquid courage from a few well-timed mimosas, I found myself training for "a marathon," with no actual race in sight.
As the summer sun turned to the foliage of fall, the Anthem Manchester City Marathon came into sharp focus.
I came, I ran, I conquered.
I want to take the time to really put all of the images, thoughts and sentence fragments in my head into words, so I won't recap the race right now. Suffice to say that while every bit as challenging as advertised, I don't have a single regret about choosing a small, hilly, 500-runner marathon as my first, and I will cherish the memories of my family and friends popping up to cheer me on while I ran all over the city where I grew up for the rest of my life.
Thanks, guys.
XO,
Caitlin (Your newly-minted marathoner)



I'm so proud of you!!!! This is such an awesome accomplishment. WOOT!
ReplyDelete