Monday, February 14, 2011

All You Need is Love!

This was just one of those mornings where I woke up, actually pretty damn overtired from a weekend of cavorting, and just smiled like an idiot. I am, in fact, still grinning:


 
I am a very lucky girl.

Truth be told, I've been having a bit of a rough time of it lately. Winter has ensnared me in its evil grip; it's cold, dark, gloomy and just overall depressing. I've been half-assing my healthy eating goals (actually, "out of control Bingemeister" might have crossed my lips as an accurate description of my eating lately). I've been eating more than my fair share of smoked gouda and not nearly enough green goodness... I literally dreamed of a Green Monster the other night. My half marathon training has been decent enough, but I've been getting bummed that I had to start running all over again, and am still at point of adding a quarter mile to my runs each week. I'm moody, irritable, irrational and totally exhausted, and if anyone dare say the three magic letters (P, M, and S), I might just haul off and sock them.

In short, of all the Charlie Browns in the world, I've been the Charlie Browniest.

[Source]
Good grief.

This morning, however, I just happened to wake up thinking of all the things I am thankful for, which brighten my day considerably and just plain make me smile:

- My brothers and sister, who have been there through thick and thin. We have a crazy family, but no one knows how to make me laugh (Or cry. Or scream. Or a lot of other things) like my sister, K, and three brothers, BB&R. You guys are my rocks. And to newcomer Baby Bro G, for being ridiculously cute and a reminder of all the possibilities life has in store for us!

[Note: One "B" is missing, but that's ok. Just imagine two of the tall, lanky dude in the middle. And BG needs permission to be featured, since he's, you know, 1.]

- My niece, Princess, and nephew, Ham. I love those two little monkeys like no one's business. I am definitely *that* Auntie, who sends them rompers declaring that all they want for Christmas is me, takes 300 photos on my camera phone, gives them a million slobbery kisses and is always aiming to make them love me more than anyone else in the world. ;)
[I need to get my brother's permission before posting pics of Ham. You know the drill.]



- A totally amazing and loving boyfriend, known to the interwebs as Blane, with whom I fall more in love each and every day. He makes waking up in the morning an adventure, despite his stinky socks.



- An amazing cast of friends, coworkers and family members, who have come together to make my life the adventure that it is. One day, when my memoirs hit the top of the NYT Bestseller list, I'll have all of you to thank.  From middle school misfortune to college craziness, workplace wonders to bar crawlin' buddies, you guys and gals are the family I get the gift of choosing. I love you all!

[Source]

- And last, but not least, my readers. Yes, YOU. I know that you're out there (stats don't lie!), and I just wanted to say that I am grateful for you. You guys rock!


Valentine's Day is about love, both romantic and neighborly. So even if you're not feeling the whole "Hallmark/candy/flowers/pukefest" that it's been made out to be, stop sitting on your sad sack and get out there and make someone else's day better -- your family, your neighbor, hell, even your mailman -- and give them a nice, big grin and a "Happy Valentine's Day."




(Side note: I'm so sick of people bitching and moaning about Valentine's Day. Seriously, people, it's one day about love and friendship, not some catastrophic apocalypse. If you are bitter enough to loathe a day dedicated to all the happy interpersonal relationships in the world, then I truly feel sorry for you and wish you all the happiness in the world. Now go forth and spread the love.)

2 comments:

  1. love your post :) glad to know i'm the only person whose afraid of balloons ;) xoox happy vday dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, most definitely not. Burning hatred stemming from fear!

    ReplyDelete