Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Cult Classics and the BetrAyal

I think I've already made it pretty clear that I'm a perpetual 14-year old trapped in a late 20s body.

Despite its ubiquity, "Call Me, Maybe" still brings a grin to my face. I'm not ashamed to be caught rapping the Ludacris solo during "Baby" or any other Bieber song-of-the-moment on the treadmill. One recent inquiry to The Google included, "Is there a rivalry between Big Time Rush fans and One Direction fans?" (I need to stay on the up and up for when I next run into Andrew's 17-year old cousin) and I routinely disarm people with a cool, "I'm Chuck Bass" whenever someone gives me the side eye (like... now).

So while my friend and I were discussing developments from last week's episode of Pretty Little Liars (actually, "developments" is a bit of a stretch; nothing ever happens on that show but I just can't give up all the pretty hair and clothes), she mentioned that Entertainment Weekly recently ran an article on the top 26 cult shows of all time. Naturally, Buffy was #1, but I was pretty happy to see a few of my other all-time favorites on the list:

Veronica Mars: I've already intimated my love of VM many times, so no need to rehash it all here. Team Logan 4 Life!

Firefly: Part Star Wars, part John Wayne, Andrew and I went through every episode of this totally underrated and too-short series in about two weeks. Throw in the cache of Nathan Fillion, Joss Whedon and Jewel Staite (who is once again lost in space, to my delight), and I couldn't turn it off. Also, after sending in a few Mars bars to save VM, I appreciate the tenacity of the Browncoats who managed to get Serenity into theaters to give the series the ending it deserved.

The Wire: Hands down the best tv show I've ever seen, and I've watched every episode of The Sopranos and Six Feet Under, and all but this past season of Dexter. I've heard a solid case can be made for Breaking Bad, but after the first season, I'm not yet convinced. The Wire, however, is pure drama at its finest.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia: Unlike the rest of this list, I have not seen every episode of Always Sunny. In fact, I took a staunch opposition to the show in the beginning, when Andrew and his goofy roommates would devote hours of their day towards it. I refused to watch, calling The Gang "stupid" and "not funny" for months...only to have my carefully erected wall disintegrate into dust when forced to play the part of "cool girlfriend" and watch the episode about kitten mittens. I now regularly find myself caught up in marathon DVD-viewing on Saturday afternoons. Well played, Danny DeVito. Well played.

Roo
Someone might have used Mac as his inspiration for an 80s party.
I've also seen every episode of Gilmore Girls, Castle, New Girl, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under and all but the second half of last season of Gossip Girl.* Then there are the shows that I formerly obsessed over, but finally gave up on because the plot started to weaken and the character flaws became magnified to the Nth degree. Dawson's Creek, Felicity, Fringe, Grey's Anatomy, The Office, Dexter -- I'm specifically looking at you. I intend to remedy the first three during my winter hibernation (Netflix Instant for the win), in part because I want to re-live the awkwardness of my teen years...

...but mostly because no one should ever be denied the chance to stare at Josh Jackson or Scott Speedman, both of whom I believe have only gotten better with age.

diane-kruger-joshua-jackson-sunday-brunch-with-niece-04
[Source]
Edited to Add: I wrote this post yesterday, before the PLL Summer Finale, aka "The BetrAyal" aired. WHAT. THE. F--K?! I refuse to believe that that.... person.... is what they made him/her out to be there at the end! If anyone wants to discuss, feel free to comment with a spoiler alert OR just email (caitieexperiment [at] gmail [dot] com) or tweet me. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who didn't get to watch, but that shit was CRAZY! 

*This list is by no means exhaustive; obviously if I included all of the classics from my adolescent years, we would be here for days. Boy Meets World (x2 at the very least), Saved By the Bell and Full House are but a small sampling.

No comments:

Post a Comment