I turned 28 back at the end of October -- two months in and I still don't feel "dangerously close" to 30, as a friend so eloquently put it. I've spent the last few months doing a little socializing, a little writing and a lot of thinking. The long version is documented in another post that is languishing in my Drafts folder and it's, well, long. The short version is that I'm on the fence regarding my desire to blog, whether here, there or anywhere. I haven't particularly missed the culture that most of us thought we'd left behind with our high school Livejournals. The urge to post a random hello caught me on my way to work today, though, so I figured I would take advantage of it and not throw in the towel quite yet, since there are a lot of ideas percolating up in ye olde noggin re: blogging. In the meantime, I will also continue my new habit of scribbling thoughts in a notebook and making stuff up in a Word document, two activities that have been preoccupying a greater portion of my time of late.
![]() |
| I've also been doing ridiculous things like this. |
I've also done a lot of reading. A LOT of reading. Most of it has been nowhere near the line of literary fiction (I read the entire Uglies series by Scott Westerfield in a weekend, for example), but I hit my Goodreads Goal for 2012 when I finished the 50th "documented" book of the year (John Greene's The Fault in Our Stars -- if you haven't read it, RUN, don't walk, to your nearest bookseller. It's heartbreakingly beautiful). This year, I'm gunning for 60; I've got two down and am currently halfway through The Perks of Being a Wallflower. One day I'll actually finish Anna Karenina, but a woman cannot live on meticulously detailed tales of revolutionary-era Russian aristocracy alone.
One of my personal goals has been to get back into reviewing books that move me, not so much to convince others to read them as to force myself to actually contemplate the craft of writing and see which chords particularly resonate. This has also been helping to keep my new goal of writing at least 20 minutes a day, another of those, "I swear I'll get around to it!" tasks that I actually enjoy but find myself too frequently pushing off in favor of other pursuits like, say, watching tv.
Which brings me to my current TV addiction: Parks and Rec. I admit that, much like Always Sunny, I declared my hatred for this masterpiece without actually giving it a chance; it was that show that came on if I forgot to turn the tv off after The Office. But as I mentioned to Christina on Twitter this morning, last December, Andrew and I happened to catch the "Treat Yo' Self" episode and started tuning in more regularly, because that shit was FUNNY.
@christinaorso YES!! The Ben-does-Batman one was the episode that finally turned me from a, "guess I'll keep the tv on" watcher into a fan!!
— Caitlin (@CaitieXperiment) January 4, 2013
Thanks to Netflix Instant and the ease of direct streaming, we've been on a bit of a P&R bender for the past two weeks, zipping through almost three seasons. The Saturday night before Christmas, we watched nine --yes, NINE -- episodes in a row, only stopping because I needed toothpicks to keep my eyes open and that sounded dangerous given the frequent outbursts of hysterical laughter. I've always been a fan of Amy Poehler, although I still see Hillary Clinton every time I look at her (unlike Tina Fey with Sarah Palin, thank God). She is hilarious as Leslie Knope, but it is truly one of the funniest ensemble comedies I've ever had the pleasure of viewing. My favorite character li-tra-ly changes with each episode (ok, well, it's never Ann. While I love Rashida Jones, Ann is one of the most [intentionally] annoying characters on television).
Also, I love Ben. AND I keep finding myself slipping into April-speak which, given the level of professionalism required for my job, is generally frowned upon. Whoopsie.
So, there it is, a blog post, all written and edited and posted and stuff. Yay me!
(There I go again. ::eyeroll::)
(I really need to stop doing that)
xoxo,
C

No comments:
Post a Comment