Friday, February 22, 2013

Letters From a Late-20s Blogger to the Universe at Large: Part the Third

No confessional today because, though I could probably go into hypnotherapy with my shame spiral in general, I'm having one of those unusual mornings where everything is rainbows and sunshine and I maybe-ok-definitely shouted, "GOOOD MORNING!!!" at a coworker randomly on the street. So, rather than dig through my past for your entertainment, I will instead leave you with some little letters that I began drafting yesterday, when my mood was a bit more, shall we say, sourpuss. Here we go!

WTF?! Letters of the Day:

Dear Young, Perky, Judgmental Coed Across the Bar,
Wipe that stupid smirk off your face. One day, in the not-so-distant future, you will find yourself at a much-needed happy hour, blowing off steam with one of your biffs. I assure you that you, too, will be a acting a little bit tipsy, laughing a little bit too loud and being a little bit too Billy Joel in general. You, too, will find it hilarious when the 19-year old bartender cards you and you will giggle at his attempts to flatter you into a bigger tip. So retire the stinkeye already, because those two ladies you're gawking at? Consider them your crystal ball.
WTF?!
Welcome to your future,
C

Dear Fluorescent, Only-the-Super-Can-Replace-You Kitchen Light,
Your current state of blinking, flashing and outright mocking me needs to stop. While I do appreciate a good disco now and then, I also live in fear of negligence lawsuits. Seeing as I'm worried you could give someone a seizure, it's time to get your act together.
WTF?
Shape up before I blow a fuse,
C

Dear Federal Government,
WHY YOU NO STANDARDIZE SUBMISSION PLATFORMS ACROSS THE INTERWEBS?! I am a willingly taxed citizen of the US (no, seriously -- I live in MA, where we voted against decreasing the income tax a few years ago), so I only ask for one thing: can one of your highly-paid, steadily employed "people" come up with a standard system for submission? It's bad enough that securing government funding is like pulling teeth; does the submission process really need to make me prefer a root canal, too?
WTF?!
Get with these economic times,
C

Dear Closet,
Sorry you're so mad at me for keeping you full of last season's wares, but I am of the small faction of human beings who admits to getting a tiny rush from paying my bills in full, on time (or early!). So when Momma sees a little extra in the bank account, she does not wanna blow it on shoes. Call it residual Stockholm Syndrome from back when student loans kept me in a bunker of solitude, but you're going to have to get used to sharing the wealth.
WTF?
We'll see who's laughing when I'm bathing in cash like Scrooge McDuck,
C

Dear "Fashion Community."
Overalls. Enough said.
WT-EVER-LOVIN'-F?!
Really, though?!
C

And a Love Letter:

Dear Katiebelle,
Thank you for being my friend and assuring me that one day, our parody novel will be a bestseller. Also, give me a glass of your finest, cheapest chardonnay.
Four for you, Glenn Coco!
You go, Glenn Coco!
C


And none for Gretchen Wieners.

3 comments:

  1. Best post ever! And I hope the co-ed to whom you're referring is the one who sat behind me and ate pasta alone at the bar. At the UNO'S bar, no less. So honestly? We had the better loud, boozy night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be the EXACT coed to whom I was referring. Joke's on her...she left before the cute bartender showed up!

      Delete
  2. Love these letters. I would also like to add to the co-ed that they won't always be that size forever (seriously, I was NEVER as skinny as some of these college chicks are. Did I miss the memo??)

    And the kitchen light, argh. I am now pissed off for you because that would drive me absolutely batshit crazy. Hopefully no seizures are in your future.

    ReplyDelete