Must be a new year or something.
I know my last few posts were a little... introspective. People who know me in real life might not realize that blogging does not come easily to me; I'm one of those people who talks incessantly yet never really has anything to say. I'm sure that this usually comes across as narcissistic, but really it's more of a nervous habit than anything else. I overshare some aspects of my life simply to avoid talking about others. Privacy is a luxury in my (large, invasive) family, and one on which I place a premium.
But I digress.
Over the past several months, a lot has gone on in my life. I do hope to go into some of these in greater detail in future posts but, since I am entirely unpredictable with my blogging and who knows when that mood will strike my fancy, here's a list of short bullets to get you up to speed:
- I turned 29 back in October. We celebrated by going to Wine Riot at the Park Plaza Hotel, then catching the last few innings of the Sox during the World Series. Several people gave me the whole, "whoaaaa last one before the big three-oh!" schtick but, really, being 29 is a lot like being 28, only with slightly less wine and slightly more eye cream.
![]() |
| The vendors were sampling more than the patrons, trust me -- thus the blurriness! |
- As you probably saw, I ran the Manchester City Marathon on November 3rd. It is one of (if not the singular) biggest accomplishments of my life thus far. I trained for four months and three days to get to that finish line, and while it wasn't always (or ever) pretty, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't remember some aspect of the whole debacle and smile.
![]() |
| SO GOOD TO SEE YOU DO YOU HAVE MORE FOOD FOR ME? |
- One fact that I conveniently left out, but which you might have caught here, is that Andrew also ran the marathon. He kicked my ass by almost 23 minutes, which I'll pretend not to find annoying, considering he managed to throw his back out THE MORNING OF THE RACE and still finished not only smiling, but with perfect posture. To cap off the whole schmaltzy, "my boyfriend is perfect" theme, his first words once he could breathe were to ask how far behind him I was, and then when they lied and said "right behind you!," he refused to leave the finish line -- foregoing the heat blanket, snacks and massages located in the Finisher's Tent -- until I ambled my way down Elm Street for fear of missing me. You can all go vomit now; I'll wait.
![]() |
| C3P0 and R2D2 |
- You might remember from this post that I have just recently (within the past four years) gotten over a truly debilitating fear of the dentist. After I had my last crown placed early this summer, the only work that I really had left to be done was to finally bite the bullet and have my wisdom teeth out. In my post-marathon, "screw fear I can do anything I want!" haze, I finally booked a consult for late November and then made an appointment to have the actual procedure done in late December. As I type this, I am almost three weeks post-op, and I have to admit that I am still feeling pretty bad-ass, considering that I managed to commit to and then do something that basically every sixteen year old in Western Civilization has done. Whatever. Don't steal my moment, bro.
![]() |
| Looking like this was worth it to declare victory over the dreaded Chipmunk Cheek |
- Prior to said surgery, I was feeling a little uneasy with the direction my health was headed, both mentally and physically. While I hadn't regressed entirely into "Let's eat an entire pizza and finish it off with an ice cream sundae while lying in bed listening to OneRepublic's 'Stop and Stare' on repeat," territory, I was headed to a dark place. Compound that by living exclusively off of mashed carbohydrates for a week, and by January 3rd I was ready to re-commit fully to the healthy habits I had adopted through the first half of 2013. In the past 17 days, I've gotten back to spinning, running, yoga and even FINALLY tried Group Power at the gym; my diet has been cleaned back up; I've finished two books and I've been writing a page in a journal every night. I'm feeling a lot more "centered," tree-hugger as that might sound, and it's a lot nicer than running around every day feeling like Charlie Brown is my soulmate.
![]() |
| The second-best part of running. |
- Lastly, and in that same vein, I had been toying with the idea of going dry for an extended period of time for quite awhile -- not because I have any major issues with alcohol or anything, but because I did feel like it was an overarching theme of my social life, and also because I've wanted to try branching out a bit into new activities and experiences, and I know that I tend to use a glass of wine as a crutch in those situations that make me uncomfortable. Also, at the age of 29, my metabolism isn't quite what it used to be, and I wanted my Sunday mornings back. So, when I had to make it through New Year's Eve sans champagne due to the large amount of anti-inflammatories and antibiotics running through my veins, I came across the concept of Drynuary on The Twitters and decided just to go with it. Today marks 20 days off the hooch, and while I haven't noticed any dramatic revelations or anything, I will say that I have rediscovered my love of mocktails. Soda water, a splash of grenadine and a cherry? Almost as good as the real deal!
![]() |
| Yes, preggos, I AM available to bartend your mocktails |
So, that's my past four months in a nutshell. Hope you all have a wild and wonderful weekend!






No comments:
Post a Comment