Monday, January 24, 2011

The Best-Laid Plans....

... seriously never work out. This was definitely one of those weekends where every single plan I had went straight out the window. As soon as the snow started to fall on Friday morning, I should have just cut my losses, crawled back under the blankets and slept straight through until this morning. Instead, I braved a snowy, icy commute, made it to work and instantly started wondering if I was on an episode of Candid Camera. Or maybe What Would You Do, with John Quinones. Seriously, NOTHING went right!
(And yes, I take full responsibility for that --- this isn't some justification rant. I deserved what I got!).

The plan: Hit the gym for a nice, relaxing elliptical workout on my lunch break Friday.
The reality: Lunch break? What lunch break? I somehow forgot that I have three deadlines this week and that I can barely escape from my desk long enough to fill up my water bottles, let alone work out.

The plan: Have a nice dinner date with the boyfriend, not worry about calories and only indulge in a glass or two of wine.
The reality: I should have known how this night was going to turn out as soon as DBF showed up with a six pack of Longtrail IPAs... when we only had 20 minutes until our reservation. 2 beers, 5 orders of tapas, 2 glasses of wine, a short walk home and 3 Harpoons later, I couldn't have cared less about calories... but man, was I PISSED when Voldemort kept taking me down in Lego Harry Potter.

The plan: Wake up Saturday morning, hit the gym for a nice 1.5m run and then spin class, so that I could enjoy the rest of my weekend without my training plan lingering in my head.
The reality: After finally being dragged out of bed kicking, screaming and clawing at my sheets, I proceeded to get myself ready for the gym and spin. Except then I realized it was 11:30. Spin starts at 9:20. Oops. When in doubt, just go for a $5 brewery tour. It works every time.

The plan: A nice, relaxed evening Saturday, hanging out and watching Season 2 of Lie to Me.
The reality: Tequila! College pals! Tearful reunions with estranged former roomie/best friend! Late night pizza binges! WOOOO!

The plan: Spend Sunday food shopping, making up for that run I skipped Saturday, concocting chicken soup, rooting HARD against the Jets, because J-E-T-S SUCK SUCK SUCK!
The reality: Dragging self out of bed at noon, exhausting all possible sources of Advil in the apartment, falling asleep to Ugly Betty on the TV Guide channel and being scared shitless waking up to The Mask, devolving into total and utter glee as Sexy Rexy threw his headset and secretly hoping he might try to eat it (not enough toes, so not interested).... cursing TB12 for last week's pitiful showing because really, the Pats would have OWNED the Steelers and instead I was forced to root for that aggressive chipmunk, Roethlisberger.

You get the point.

While I do regret the fact that I somehow morphed into a three-year-old version of myself (at one point, I literally told myself to, "man up... you're 23 years old." Definitely had my 26th birthday in October. Holy cats! I'm old!), I am pretty thrilled about the whole re-connecting with former friends, particularly because one of them was the friend I specifically mentioned in my 2011 goals. I saw her, apologized for how everything went down, she said it was a two-way street, we did the whole, "I misssseeeddd youuuu!!", tears ensued, lifetime catchup, lots of hugs and promises to hang out soon. So, despite the massive amount of salt currently coursing through my veins, I'll take that improvement over a few ounces on the scale any day.

There are more important things in life than numbers!

No comments:

Post a Comment