Suffice to say, April was one of the most stressful months of my life. In addition to the Marathon bombing and its subsequent aftermath, there were a lot of other circumstances clouding my headspace (thank you to everyone who tweeted me during the lockdown; you have no idea how helpful it was to know that I had a connection to people in the outside world who weren't, you know, crying hysterically halfway across the country [hi, Mom!]). After my last post, I took a few weeks to gather my thoughts, spend time with friends and family and, perhaps most importantly, get back to some semblance of "normalcy."
Which of course begs the question: what, exactly, is normal?
I suppose the answer is different for everyone. For me, it has entailed getting back into the daily swing of things by watching downright horrible television, drinking copious amounts of wine, driving Andrew crazy with my hypochondria and making lists of all nature, including lists of lists I need to make. Also on that list? Writing. As I contemplated how to "jump back in" to blogging, I remembered a few other posts I had written, conveniently spaced two months apart, and thought this was as good a way as any. Enjoy!
________________________________________________________
Currently: On my morning coffee break.
Current books: Since I am hardly ever reading only a single book at a time, I've decided to split this question into categories. Nook: Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides; Paper: Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt.
Current music: It's Friday, so..... but that minor detail aside, I'm currently jamming to a playlist I created that mashes up every song from 2000-era chick flicks that I could think of. We're talking Six Pence None the Richer, Letters to Cleo, Sister Hazel, etc. (fun fact: the 10 Things I Hate About You soundtrack is still one of my all-time favorite albums. I love every single song on the track list!).
| This list goes on. And on. And on some more. |
Current guilty pleasure: A grande iced coffee from Starbucks. I'm usually pretty miserly when it comes to buying coffee, particularly because I have a Keurig both at home and at my office. It is, however, 80 degrees at 10am, and if that doesn't call for a cold treat, I don't know what does!
Current nail color: Still naked. If you remember, I suffer from some pretty serious allergies (I take two different meds 365 days per year, plus supplement with prescription eye drops, nasal spray and OTC benedryl from April-May and mid-September through mid-November, and I get allergy shots on top of all that). I'm in the middle of another hyperallergic episode at the moment, so nail polish is a no-go until the skin on my face stops feeling like it was rubbed down with sandpaper.
Current drink: The previously mentioned iced coffee, but after that I will switch to the three liters of water currently occupying my desk.
Current food: I haven't eaten breakfast yet, but soon I will be eating my standard weekday fare of 1/2c eggbeaters, 2 slices chopped canadian bacon and a laughing cow cheese wedge. I've had this breakfast every morning for all but four days since March, and it still hasn't worn me out yet. What can I say? It's ridiculously easy both to transport and make, and I'm a creature of habit.
Current favorite show: Andrew and I are a little more than halfway through Season One of Arrested Development. I'd say I (literally) laugh out loud at least twice per episode, particularly when Andrew refers to Lucille as my grandmother ("They're only heels, Lindsay; you can only expect them to support so much weight.") On nights that he has softball, you can find me curled up on the couch still marathon-viewing The Vampire Diaries. I'm a sucker for the nice guy in real life, but I can say that Damon Salvatore has somehow managed to fill the Chuck Bass-sized bad boy hole in my heart.
Current wish list: Money has been somewhat tight this month, so my current wish list is rather extensive. Judging by my Amazon and Barnes and Noble bookmarks, I'd be in heaven if I had some new running gear, the collected works of William Shakespeare and a pre-approved mortgage. I'd settle for a larger bank account, though.
Current needs: To eat breakfast, for starters. I also need to bring my week-old Galaxy S4 to Verizon, because I am apparently cursed when it comes to new cell phones and received one of the phones that has a defective back-facing camera (it keeps crashing the camera app and when it does open, it refuses to focus). After that, I need to plan out my weekend with respect to workouts, fun and errands. It's supposed to remain in the high 80s through the weekend, which means if I want to run, I need to get it done earlier as opposed to later. It's been a really stressful 10 days for me and I haven't been able to workout since Sunday because my quads would barely support me as I tried to sit down. Which brings me to....
![]() |
| This is mile 13, hence me looking like I want to die. |
Current bane of my existence: Obviously, the annoyance with my phone's camera is rather vexing. Aside from that, I'm annoyed that my current DietBet weigh-in is on Monday or Tuesday of next week -- one of my very best friends is going to be in town this weekend for a wedding, so we're planning to hit all of our old haunts on Sunday. Courtesy of the water-weight following the half, I'm juuuuust on the cusp of making my goal for the month, which means that in order to get my money, I'll have to be a bit more well-behaved than I want to be this weekend. ;)
Current celebrity crush: I'm really feeling David Beckham lately. He just seems like such a good dad, and the video of him and Harper on the LA Kings Kiss Cam makes my heart melt every time I watch it!
Current indulgence: When we were in New York for a mini-vacation back in March, Andrew and I stumbled upon 2Beans, which is an adorable coffee/chocolate shop located right up the block from Grand Central Station at 100 Park Ave. My coworkers and I have a tradition of bringing sweets back from vacation, so I bought a sample-pack of their most popular in-house chocolate bars. Well, suffice to say that as soon as I tried a bite of the bar I bought for myself, I squirreled away the sampler and gave my coworkers something else instead. I've been having one square of the Sea Salt Dark Chocolate bar each night for the last week, and will be breaking into the other bars in the not-so-distant future, for sure!
Current blessing: I usually say my friends and family, but this month, I'm going to go with both my mental and physical my health. I've been really focusing on myself the past three months, and I'm really lucky to say that it seems to be paying off in spades.
Current slang: I've been taking a Tom Haverford-style approach to slang lately, returning to my college days and abbreviating basically every word I say, even if it then makes it four times longer to say it. Ie., saying I had a ban-ban with peabs translates to, "I had a banana with peanut butter." I mostly do it to annoy unsuspecting friends and family, but I hope the abbrevs don't work themselves back into my vocabulary on a permanent basis.
Current outfit: It's 90 degrees outside, yet my office is around 60. Regardless, I'm enrobed in a navy linen skirt, black lace tank, light blue H&M snap-up and black flats. And shades, of course!
![]() |
| Too cool for school --er, work. |
Current excitement: IT'S FRIDAY!! This weekend I'm excited to see one of my bffs, LC, and to possibly squeeze in a little bit of relaxation. My weekends have been insanely hectic the last month or so; not having concrete plans is the most exciting news I've heard in weeks!
Current mood: If you couldn't tell: excited.
Current link: I've been getting my money's worth from Netflix this month, for sure.
___________________________________________________________________
Well, that's it. Have a great weekend, everyone!


No comments:
Post a Comment