![]() |
| Picture this, only 15 years younger... |
It was during my second stint playing Kurt in The Sound of Music (huh... I wonder if Kurt from Glee got his name from that icon? Things to ponder...) that I realized that a certain scene made me... uncomfortable. Not the one where I box-stepped to a dog whistle (I'm Kurt. I'm incorrigible!), or even the one where I had to dance with my fake older sister/good friend Liesl --- but the one where, despite my best efforts, I could never COMPLETELY pull off lying to the audience, no matter how hard I tried.
Because let's be honest here...
Ain't NO amount of whiskers on kittens or warm woolen mittens going to keep me from cringing, shrieking, covering my ears and convulsing during a thunderstorm.
No way.
![]() |
| [Source] |
No how.
A lot of people assume I'm kidding when I put "thunderstorms and assorted other loud, startling noises" at the very top of my list of things of which I am petrified. At the very least, they think I'm exaggerating -- what 26 year old is terrified of balloons/fireworks/pyrotechnics/nature's greatest display of electricity?
This one, that's who.
If you want to take your life in your hands, I invite you to join my in a car that I'm driving at the first (or any, really) flash of lightning -- because I unconsciously get so tense that I accidentally jerk the wheel and close my eyes. I also BLAST the stereo because thunder scares the bejeesus out of me, and if I can't hear it, so much the better. Or perhaps you'd like to join me in my little apartment thunderstorm cave? I wish I was kidding (though sadly, I am not):
Yes, that's some tunes, a very bright light, a temperpedic ass cushion, sustenance, a book and booze. Because Lord help me, I can't be expected to endure some of the worst thunderstorms in MA history without a good, strong helping of liquid courage. You know what's NOT pictured? Windows. And you know why? Because even the flash of lightning gets to me and makes me all kinds of crazy. Spastic, like a dog hiding under the bed, crazy.
You can imagine what it's like to work with me on the top floor of a high-rise that is encased entirely in glass, can't you?
Stop laughing.
In all seriousness, I'm well aware of how stupid a fear this is. Believe me, I've tried everything from immersion therapy (hello, omni theater at the science museum), to books, to learning anything and everything about thunderstorms, lightning and odds (I got a 107% on my Elements of Weather final in college, thankyouverymuch).
None of it has helped. I've kind of accepted it, because as my shrink in college pointed out, though it's an irrational fear, it's a deep-seated one. I've been terrified of loud, startling noises since I was 2, when some little asshole at the zoo popped a balloon in my ear. My first memories of fireworks are of sitting on my Dad's shoulders with my fingers in my ears, and later of my sister sitting behind me and covering them for me. I spent many a
![]() |
| [Source] |
Compound that with the time my sister and I watched out the window as our dad and brothers ran to the house from the car, only to have a bright flash, giant bang and HUGE hole blasted through our driveway a split-second later, along with the time lightning struck a tree that then fell on our car WITH ALL OF US INSIDE OF IT (and my head a mere 3 inches from the roof since, as the oldest, I got "trunk duty"), and it's no wonder I'm such a wuss when it comes to explosions of any kind.
I just feel bad for the people sitting next to me on the bus when lightning strikes.
So... Can someone please reassure me that I'm not the only one with a ridiculous, shameful fear of something completely innocuous!?!?
(FTR, my other irrational phobia is arachnophobia, and yes, I would totally be that chick in the iPhone commercial who freaks out and causes the picture of the spider on the table to be smashed. I'm very proud of myself each and every time I manage to squish one without having to call Andrew in tears. Progress, I say!)




We are sort of the same person: I sing/dance/act and I was The Artful Dodger in 5th grade...though, I think that was my last/only playing-a-boy part. Yay!
ReplyDeleteOh...I'm such a liar, I was Humpty Dumpty in Alice in Wonderland in 7th grade. Not only masculine, but an EGG. It was wonderous, I assure you.
I have to say - you are a fantastic writer & I love that every.single.one of your posts makes me laugh, in some way, mostly because of the way you phrase things.
ReplyDeleteI am terrified of rodents. The usuals - mice & rats, but I take it a step further with squirrels (if they're not near me, I'm okay), hamsters, guinea pigs, etc. No child of mine is getting a rodent for a pet. I'd rather have 3 m puppy potty duty for months than have to look at a rodent AS A PET. Blegh.