Anyway....
Ok, let's cut to the chase. It's Friday. On Fridays, we
So, without further ado, I do hereby solemnly confess:
I've got a case of the HGCs.
I remember one night during the second semester of my junior year of college (a feat in and of itself, actually), sitting on a fraternity futon with a bunch of my sorority sisters and pregaming for the evening's events (random factoid for you GDIs: you actually aren't allowed to drink in a sorority house. In some states, it's because a house with a certain amount of women living in it and with booze available is considered a brothel. But really, we just like to keep our floors from getting sticky. That's why God invented fraternities) . As we sat there, giggling about girl stuff and driving the
And I loved it.
These days, it seems like there's girl-on-girl hatred everywhere. There are so many awe-inspiring women out there in the world, and instead of focusing on them and building ourselves up to be like them, we'd rather rip through US Weekly and cattily trash the latest Bachelorette or Britney's weave. Why is that?!? Especially since you know that we ALL have ladies that we admire, whether it be for their rad writing skillz, their ability to bounce back from criticism or their hair color.
And so, I now present to you the first installment of my very own, heterosexual girl crushes:
Katy Perry
![]() |
| [Source] |
Jen Lancaster
![]() |
| [Source] |
I can't even begin to describe the amount of laughter that JLan has brought me at inappropriate times, but suffice to say that no one else has ever made me almost pee my pants on a city bus. I kind of assume that if I were ever to run into her on the street, I would say something horribly awkward and stupid, which she would totally understand and laugh off, and then we would both blow off food shopping to go indulge in Scorpion Bowls and heckle innocent passersby and become BFF4Ls. Seriously, though, if you haven't read Bitter is the New Black or Such a Pretty Fat, haul your ass to the nearest Barnes and Noble... RUN, don't walk. Then you, too, can partake in mine and Katie's drunk-text-love-fest for this fantastic, hilarious writer.
Kate Middleton
![]() |
| [Source] |
Amy Adams
![]() |
| [Source] |
Kirstie Alley
Given that it's still my second-most popular post to date, I think we all know this fact: Kirstie is mah' GIRL. She's got sass, style and spunk -- all traits that I greatly admire. Whenever I think of the phrase, "haters gon' hate," I think of all the nastiness she had to endure during her time on DWTS, how much that had to have hurt and, most importantly, how she said to hell with all of those critics and did her best to prove them wrong each and every week. Despite a few stumbles here or there in her life and career, she always manages to pull herself back up, dust herself off and throw herself 110% back into the game. I dig that.
Michelle Obama
![]() |
| [Source] |
I purposely avoid politics on the blog, but for Michelle, I shall make an exception. First of all, she's Princeton (and Harvard, but who cares) educated. It's a little-known fact, but there was a time in my life when I was courted by Princeton and my ultimate academic goal was to get in there. Sure, it might have been in 8th grade, but the fact remains that they once wanted me, and I still look really good in orange. Her education aside, Michelle is SO DAMN STRONG -- and I'm not just referring to her killer pipes, either. I agree that childhood obesity is a major issue in this country, I love that she grew a garden at the White House, and regardless of your political beliefs, she's providing support to the leader of the free world. That's impressive.
Anne of Green Gables
![]() |
| [Source |
So, there you have it. Of course, I have many more HGCs -- at LEAST enough famous ones to fill up another post. Plus, there are my HGC bloggers, and my IRL HGC friends and acquaintances. So now I urge you, readers, to contemplate your own Girl Crushes (the H is optional; I happen to like dudes but whatever floats your boat!). Let the Lady Love flow!
So, tell me: Who are YOUR girl crushes?? Why??








Tina Fey, Kristen Wiig, Amy Poehler, Hilary Clinton.
ReplyDeleteJen Lancaster fo sho, I've met her twice and loooooooooove her! I'm not one to re-read books but hers I can read over and over again and they make me laugh every single time.
ReplyDeleteAdd Eva Mendes, Tina Fey to the list and I'm sure there are others!
I'm sure I have one, but none come to mind! Happy long weekend friend!
ReplyDeleteI agree with all of those (except for Amy Adams) I still watch Anne of Green Gables everytime it's on TV, even though it's a gazillion hours long.
ReplyDeleteI have several HGC's, but the ones that stick out are Drew Barrymore (have loved her for years and years), and def Eva Mendes like Tiffany said, that girl is HOT!
Melissa and Tiffany, Tina Fey is at the top of the Part 2 post -- have you guys read Bossypants?! Hilarious!
ReplyDelete@Tiffany -- I'm SEETHING in jealousy that you've met Jen not once but TWICE!! My friend Katie and I contemplated taking a day off of work and hightailing it to NYC for the IYWH tour, since she didn't come to Boston!
ReplyDelete@Stephanie -- I totally forgot about Drew Barrymore, but I have a huge HGC on her, too. The Wedding Singer and Ever After are two movies that I can't pass by on tv without getting sucked in. I don't see it at all, but I've gotten a few comments from random people that I look like her -- I wish! :)
ReplyDelete