So, without further ado, I do hereby confess:
I was once involved in a passionate affair with AI -- I religiously tuned in and voted from seasons Ruben-David Cook. Then I broke up with it the next season, out of the blue, because it just wasn't working for me anymore. It was a whole, "it's not you; it's me" scenario, and by "it's me" I totally meant, "It's Kara DioGuardi".
Despite being in its 12th season, though, DWTS was never on my radar. Perhaps it was because my 87-year old grandfather thought it was the second-best show on television, right after CatholicTV, but I just never had any interest in it. And then, one fateful Monday night late last fall, I came home from a class around 9:30 and tuned into ABC, patiently waiting for Castle to come on.
![]() |
| [Source] |
One waltz later, I was hooked. And, despite my vehement declaration that I wouldn't be, I'm hooked again this season. #Damn.
Last year, I didn't really give a rat's heiny who won -- but this year, I have a definite favorite, and I don't care whether or not they're actually the best dancers; I love the star for reasons that reach far beyond the dance floor. Kirstie and Maks were two of the first people I started following on Twitter. Not just because Maks is rather droolworthy with abs of steel, but because as a kid, I was desperately on a mission to obtain Kirstie's fab head o' hair. I probably funded half of Pantene's stock options solely with the amount of their product I used to lather all over my head.
![]() |
| [Source] |
I'm talking, of course, about the issue of her weight, which I never really thought of as "an issue," but, judging by some of the vicious comments that are being made on comment forums and tv shows around the world, it has become one. Apparently some of the American public and some stupid late-night comedians think it's just totally ok to malign a woman for not being ashamed of herself for her extra fluff, and not letting them stop her from participating in something fun and good for her, and oh, btw, might even cause her to drop a couple pounds.
Because, you know, if you're overweight, you obviously deserve to be hidden away in a back room somewhere, and God forbid you do something enjoyable. Because you're barely human and don't deserve to feel alive, or good about yourself, or participate in anything that thinner people do. Heavens, no.
![]() |
| Seriously. Grow up. |
Note to all you asshats out there pouncing on Kirstie's weight and using it in your jokes: YOU ARE THE REASON that people who want to get in shape are afraid to hit the gym/streets, and YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES far more than they should be.
As a self-conscious, overweight woman, I can tell you that a large part of the reason I gained so much weight in college was because I was embarrassed that I had let myself get to that point, and I was terrified that if I went to the gym, or even went for a run on the street, people would make fun of me. Or worse, they would pity me; "Poor fat girl", they'd say to their companions, a hint of sympathy and concern in their voices, "honey, if you'd only put the cheeseburgers down and exercise some self-restraint, you wouldn't be red-faced and ready to die after two blocks at 4 mph."
![]() |
![]() |
| [Source] |
Oddly enough, though, those people's voices always sounded suspiciously like my own, echoing throughout my head to the point that they were all I heard. So, instead of hitting the gym, or going for a simple walk, I would hide myself under baggy clothes, break out the Double Stuf Oreos and settle into my dark dorm room and a marathon of Law and Order: SVU. Wasn't that what a fat girl was supposed to do?
When her phone call came, Kirstie could have taken the same road. She easily could have said, "Oh, you know, I'd love to do Dancing With the Stars -- and as soon as I lose 25 lbs, I'll do it, but right now I just can't...people might make fun of me." Because she's a strong woman, though, she didn't; she told her naysayers to eff off, decided NOT to wait for some arbitrary day when she's "good enough" and to LIVE HER LIFE RIGHT NOW.
![]() |
| [Source] |
And because she did, I found the confidence to go and, for the first time, really let go at Zumba on Tuesday night. Honestly? I probably was one of the biggest girls there. Yet when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, I didn't see the lithe, tight-bodied former dance team members around me.
I saw a girl having a fabulous time, burning over 550 calories in 45 minutes and shaking her size 14 ass like Shakira.
| A-ooooooo!!!! |
Thanks, Kirstie.







I'm dying!
ReplyDeleteFirst off, nothing feels better than lettin' loose and shakin' it at Zumba. When I first started, I channeled all of the pent-up hip hop moves I'd buried during high school dance team performances. Drop it like it's hot, anyone?
Second, thumbs up to you, my dear friend! I've been in your place before (and still occasionally battle it now) and it's not. easy. For years I avoided running outside because I was afraid people would point and laugh. I wouldn't eat in the food court at the mall because I was afraid they would be thinking "Yea, like that girl NEEDS Chick-fil-a...". It is so hard to overcome that and just get out there and do things for yourself, regardless of what people may think, but you've obviously done it and are now proudly shakin' it. Amen to that :)
P.S. I'm considering a bathroom meet-up a couple times a week-- you take my blog pics, I'll take yours.
Love this post!
ReplyDeleteAnd I used to love going to Zumba, but it got so popular at my gym, you had to show up like 45 minutes early in order to get a spot..and I had places to go and people to do (hahaha), so that's how I started running - true story.
Katie, please count me in on the bathroom photoshoot. I think people were getting disturbed when the very-obvious "click!" noise was coming out of there, and then I pretended to flush, wash my hands and walk out of there. Although if we BOTH did it, people might talk. Oooo.... the scandal!
ReplyDeletePS- thanks for the sweet words. And I drop it like it's hot all the freakin' time. And then I WakaWaka all up in the yin-yang.
Errign, I started Zumba because my Spin classes are like that!! Seriously, if I forget to go online and sign up 23:59:30 before the class, I end up on a stupid waiting list!
ReplyDeleteIt's funny; I got over the self-conscious runner thing first, and then the gym, then the spinning, but Zumba has always been one I go to but am always worried about looking like a jackass, so I half-ass my workout. Plus, I always end up between ladies who can back it up like one of JLo's backup dancers. I aspire to be them, if I can ever get my upper body to stop looking like Stretch Armstrong-meets-Robocop!
Get it girl! There's never a reason to wait until you've lost weight to do something. Live your life now!
ReplyDeleteThis post is AMAZING!!! I actually do that kind of dancing they do on dancing with the stars, and when I started I was definitely the big girl. I have lost a lot of weight since, but it's hard to put yourself out there when you feel "fat" or unattractive! This was brilliant!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Melissa! I was fortunate enough to learn that lesson early-ish on; it's all of the people who haven't had that epiphany, and who are honestly terrified, who make me feel so horrible!
ReplyDeleteThank you, hungry-dancer!! I took Irish Step as a kid (basically every girl in my family does; my cousins actually own a school), and I can do the basics needed for "formal" outings like the waltz, foxtrot, etc., but I'm SO in awe of you and anyone else that can do all those fancy steps -- in those SHOES no less!
ReplyDeleteAnd I SO agree, one of the hardest things I ever had to convince myself to learn was that if someone was going to make fun of me for trying to better myself, then it was THEIR problem, not mine. Incidentally, also one of the most valuable lessons, too!
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you come back again soon :)
I love this post!
ReplyDeleteYou are soo right about how people treat Kirstie and other overweight celebrities and regular folks. It's so important for people to share honest accounts of how ridiculous attitudes like that make them feel. Thank you so much for sharing!
Thanks, Jenny! I agree, I think it's extremely important to let the world know how badly those little comments hurt -- so many people are so oblivious to what they say and how it might be perceived by those who hear it. Like everything else in life, we have NO IDEA what others are going through or have been through, and if my story helps even one person to have the courage to call those insensitive people out, then I believe it's worth sharing.
ReplyDeleteThanks for coming by!