So, naturally, I instead channeled my energies into rehashing my own "Compliment Highlights". There have been great ones and really terrible ones, running the gamut from, "Your eyes are so mesmerizing they even manage to distract me from your perfect butt" (Andrew, that sweet man) to, "Dude! You make a perfect backboard for straw-wrapper basketball!", in reference to my decolletage (high school was an awkward time for all of us).
The best compliment I've ever received from a random stranger was, though, and I quote, "Oh, Lordy! We got Christina Hendricks in the house!". Normally, I'd assume that this comment was made either a) in jest or b) sarcastically, but it was shouted in that flattering, non-sarcastic appreciative tone that only a flamboyantly gay male hairdresser can muster (or Bruno from Dancing With the Stars, but I digress).
Can't complain. Girlfriend got it goin' on:
![]() |
| [Source] |
I didn't... yet. But the thought still tempts me every now and then. I've been red before, ranging from a fabulous auburn to Claire-Danes-My-So-Called-Life-Fire-Engine-Red. Plus, it's true; I totally DO aspire to the whole 1960s/curvy bombshell/Marilyn/Christina look.
![]() |
| If ONLY it were a little longer and therefore work appropriate!! |
Incidentally, the most backhanded compliment I ever received was, "Oooo, gurrrrrl, you gotta be one a' them plus-size models or somethin'!" from one of the valet guys near my place of work. He kind of looked like Flava Flav, though, so I decided to take it as a good thing and just go with it, and offered a simple, "ummm... thank you?"
![]() |
| [Source] |
Close second: Andrew's adorable little 3-year old cousin, last Christmas:
Little S, looking very confused because Andrew's sister, E, and I bear a slight resemblance to one another: "Wait a minute. YOU'RE E, but SHE'S E, but YOU'RE E."
Me: "No, S, I'm not E; I'm Caitlin. Remember? I'm friends with Andrew; we had a tea party at Thanksgiving!"
Little S: "OH YEAH! You're LARGE Caitlin!"
![]() |
| The actual "Large Caitlin" from days of yore |
Little S's sweet 16-year old sister: "OHMIGOD!! I'M SO SORRY! We have another cousin Caitlin who is her age, so she just meant you're the grown-up Caitlin, as opposed to Little Caitlin. OHMIGOD SORRY SORRY SORRY!"
Heh.




You look beautiful. Curves are so womanly. I'll take yours if you don't want them!
ReplyDeleteAwww, thank you! I agree; I feel like I get some funny looks from people when they ask who my "workout inspirations" are and I shoot back "Michelle Obama, Christina Hendricks and Rhianna", but it's the God's honest truth!
ReplyDeletePlus, if I gave away my lovely lady lumps, I'd have to actually pay for drinks at the bar. And that, my friend, is simply not an option.
I loved this post. "Remember the compliments you receive & forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how" - Baz Luhrman.
ReplyDeleteFun fact - Banana Republic has some baller pencil skirts that come in a very amount of lengths. The outlet store is Tilton, NH is my go-to 'cause it's crazy cheap! :)
I love that quotation! I think sometimes we get so caught up in the stupid sh*t that people spew that we fail to see the humor in whatever it is they're trying to say! I laughed like hell after that "plus-size model" comment... especially since I was standing on a street corner with a latte and he was cruisin' by in a valet car.
ReplyDeleteOOO thanks for the tip! I love the Tilton Outlets almost as much as Kittery! I also love high-waisted pencil skirts; those and waist-belts are responsible for much of the whole "love the curves and dress 'em right!" look that I favor! :)