Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Time to Face the Music

Thanks, ladies, for letting me know that I am not alone in both being intrigued and slightly repulsed with my recent case of The Twitter. All I know is that I'm still there, my cell phone battery is rapidly depleting, and I felt slightly dirty and mildly ashamed as I tucked myself in to bed last night.

But I digress. For today, my friends, it is time to face the music with respect to my totally bizarre iTunes library.

Obviously, I think music is important and plays a bigger role in our lives than we sometimes give it credit for; I have an entire section of this blog dedicated to those songs that evoke strong emotions/identifications for me, for crying out loud!

To me, music is like scent -- a certain song or genre can transport me from wherever I am, whatever I am doing, and put me into a completely different scenario. A few well-placed notes, and suddenly I'm 16 again and watching, horrified, as my very own Regina George goes in for the kill, right in front of my face. A bass hums, and I'm 13, left aching for the day that I'll finally be one of the Chosen Ones, those girls to whom boys flock like Canada geese on the Common. Or, on spring days when the sun is shining through the window just right, and the hint of summer is caught in the air, a few loud guitar riffs and I'm happy, figuring out who I really am, and who I am going to be.
I'll never be that girl who quietly takes a photo, that's for damn sure.

Earlier today, Melissa over at MelissaNibbles posted her latest playlist for her workouts. One of the things that I noticed, and loved so much about it, was how totally and utterly random it seemed to me -- but that it's totally what floats her boat at the moment. I have a pretty varied taste in music, so I think that playlists are a HUGE advantage when it comes to, well, anything. I have workout playlists, running playlists, house cleaning playlists, solely Britney playlists, holiday playlists, Disney playlists, driving playlists... and it goes onnn and onnn and onnnn (Yes, there's some Queen in there, too). I have a playlist for everything, it seems -- which is what got me thinking about something I haven't done in awhile: random iPod shuffle on All Music.

So, I took my iPod and, without filtering anything, set it to "Songs" and then wrote down the first 20 songs (out of 1333) that came on. I found it amusing, so thought I'd share [Edit: I should note that I SHUFFLED them first; apparently SOMEONE, (and we shan't name names, Andrew), is feeling picky today and missed the implication of shuffle above]:

"Scar Tissue" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
"My New Philosophy" from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown!
"Break Stuff" by Limp Bizkit
"From a Distance" by Bette Midler
"Winter" from Vivaldi's Four Seasons
"Don't Be Stupid" by Shania Twain
"Hey Ya" by Outkast
"Thank God I'm a Country Boy" by John Denver
"I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" by Elton John
"Satellite" by Dave Matthews Band
"There You Go" by Pink
"5gether" by 2ge+her
"Beat It" by MJ
"Stand by Me" by Marvin Gaye
"Girl on TV" by LFO
"Like a Virgin" by Madonna
"Magic Stick" by 50Cent
"Just the Two of Us" by Will Smith
"I Do Not Hook Up" by Kelly Clarkson
"Over and Over Again" by Nelly

I know, I know. I'm amazed that not a single Britney, Backstreet Boy, Destiny's Child, Matchbox 20, Kenny Chesney or Justin Timberlake song made it in there, too.

But I want extra credit for the 2Gether track... don't pretend you're not jealous.

[Source]
And now I must go point at people at the gym and awkwardly cross my arms in a plus sign, pretending that I'm the lost 5th member of 5gether (since poor QT died. Sad face.). Because what is Zumba for, really, if we're not going to embrace our inner pop star?!

4 comments:

  1. Love this post. I was singing O-Town in the car the other day...2ge+her reminded me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha thanks! I died laughing when I saw it come on the screen. I wasn't an O-Town girl myself, but I have deep appreciation for all things boyband. Or manband, as I am currently Stubhub stalking tix to NKOTBSB this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shoutout! I feel the same way about music. I just love it. Now I'm off to download "Girl On TV"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anytime! If it weren't for your post I'd have never had the glory of walking home and having "Save Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry as the soundtrack!

    While you're at it, I highly recommend "West Side Story." "She's the only one for me; she's the only girl I see. I can't seem to find a damn thing wrong with huhhhhh... Veronica. Doo-doo-doodley-doo-doo". Rich Cronin: poetic genius.

    ReplyDelete