As I was walking home from spectating, the cheers of the crowd still faintly reaching my ears, I got a text from my friend Leah (aka "Boyfriend"). I had invited her down earlier in the week to
"That's great, I can't believe your change since you moved down there!"
It stopped me, quite literally, in my tracks. I thought about the implications of her words. And then, staring at 11 simple words on my cell phone, a grin that could have rivaled the ones crossing the finish line at Copley spread across my face. Then I fist-pumped the sky.
Honestly, there was once a time in the not-so-distant past when I NEVER would have even considered spectating by myself. It might seem insane to some readers (and I know it seems nuts to people I know in person, particularly my colleagues), as I've been told I tend to come across as a self-assured, outgoing individual, but I am actually extremely shy. At times, debilitatingly so.
I've always been this way; I used to dread going to Church not because I didn't want to sit still for an hour, but because the thought of turning to my pew neighbors, shaking their hands and mumbling, "peace be with you," literally made me break out into a cold sweat (I still have to psyche myself up for it, to this day). "Stranger Danger" takes on an entirely new meaning when doing ANYTHING involving the unfamiliar, ranging from a simple phone call or handshake to participating in a new experience in which you might look "imperfect" or non-conformist, causes you to have nightmares, dry mouth and panic attacks.
I should probably note that the basis of this problem all started before I ever had a conscious inkling about image perception, bodily or otherwise, but I'd be lying through my teeth if I didn't admit that it became infinitely worse in college when, after spending a year thinking I had a great set of friends with whom I was thick as thieves, they dropped me from their social circle for no apparent reason, the night before room draw our freshman year.
That hurt, and the implications of wondering what had gone wrong to make me deserve to be on the receiving end of such a mean act did a real number on my psyche. Was it something I'd said? Something I'd done? Was I too fat? Too clingy? Too something? Whatever it was, trying to pinpoint it sent me into the tailspin that ended in the best way possible: a ton of therapy, a good set of friends and a new appreciation for the only person who will always be there to stick up for me: myself.
I still slip sometimes. In my heart or hearts, I know that those first years here in Boston, it wasn't just that I "didn't want to deal with the hassle" of going down to the race course. It was because I was so self-conscious about my body that I convinced myself that among this sea of accomplished athletes, I would stick out as a poser -- the girl who wanted to run but couldn't even manage a mile, even if she tried, whose body and mind literally seized up at the prospect of all those people watching her, judging her -- and thus had no right standing in the presence of such greatness and ambition.
The funny part is, two years ago, I was using the c25k while running regularly, and a good 20lbs lighter than I am right now.
Yet this week, I took myself on a field trip on a huge stage. I screamed for people I didn't know with abandon. I chatted with the constant parade of people next to me, helping them spot their friends and relatives among the sea of champions. I now have the honor of saying I ran on Beacon during the Boston Marathon (ok, I was on the wrong side of the street to get home, and a nice policeman let me race across the street during a small gap of runners, but running on the street is still running on the street).
Maybe someday, I will have the honor of saying I ran it all.
In the meantime, I'll take just being there as victory enough.

You rock! :)
ReplyDeleteGreat name, lady =)
ReplyDeleteI found you through Caitlin @ HTP and started reading this post. It really speaks to me, having struggled with anxiety. Not being able to go anywhere by myself or call people I am not intimately familiar with is something I am super familiar with. It's this weird battle between the extrovert I am and the anxiety that cancels that out.
Anywho, just thought I'd say hi and keep on it! I don't really think it gets easier, but that just means when you accomplish it, it's that much better!
-Caitlin
Hahaha thanks, Caitlin! (I was just telling my boyfriend this morning that I swear every other blogger I come across is ALSO named Caitlin, and invariably they spell it the same way I do, which NEVER HAPPENS in real life!!).
ReplyDeleteI'm totally with you on the "I don't think it ever gets easier" part; when explaining it to friends, I always liken it to alcoholism... it's a fight I'm probably going to fight every day for the rest of my life, but I don't have to let it control me anymore. I've been at it for the past six years and that anxiety response is still omnipresent, but I have ways to cope with it now!
For me, it has helped to repeat my mantra from therapy ("I cannot control a given situation, but I can choose how I will react to it"), and to tell myself, "Ok, you're anxious; you can choose how you deal with it" -- and then NOT feel guilty if I choose not to go through with whatever I'm nervous about. I used to feel like such a failure if I backed out of a party or social engagement, but now I try to view it as, "I did the right thing for myself THIS time; maybe next time I'll feel up to pushing that envelope." Does that even make sense?
On the other hand, I've gotten so good at dealing with the anxiety through cognitive behavioral therapy (my therapist really pushed me to do things that made me think I might die, like eating lunch alone in the dining hall), that most people have NO idea that before I go work that crowded cocktail reception like a pro, I spent hours shaking like a leaf and wanting to barf beforehand!
Thanks for saying hi!! I hope you come back again soon! xo Caitlin :)