Monday, August 22, 2011

Blog ADD

I know I've mentioned this once or twice a few many times before, but I have a serious problem with blog post ADD. The way it usually happens is that I'll get all hopped up on an idea: "OMG! I HAVE to write about that! It will be such a great, thought-provoking/expressive/hilarious topic and I just can't wait! It will be the post that launches me into the orbit of the greater interwebz, and then I will be able to quit my job, sell a book, grant the rights to the screenplay and remind my readers every day via Twitter about how I'm livin' the dream!".

Of course, these bursts of inspiration always come at the worst times, like in the shower, on the bus or submerged in the Atlantic Ocean, tickling my toes with seaweed. Basically, if there's no computer around, I'm sure to come up with the perfect plotline for the Great American Novel.

So, I do what most people do and whip out my trusty little notebook (which I've been carrying in my purse for years now; it predates the whole blog thing by a LOT... apparently, when friends play the, "oh shit! I forgot Caitlin's birthday!" game, miniature notebooks come to mind? Awkward.).

I love me some technology and all, but there's just something about a brand-new, totally blank notebook that's somehow....refreshing. All those empty pages, waiting to be filled up with whatever my little heart desires. Lists? Sure. Story ideas? Why not? The blog post that lets me quit my day job? Sign me up! Putting pen to paper just feels so authentic and real -- a feeling that just can't be replicated by the clickety-clack on a keyboard.

Unfortunately, my little pink notebook is currently filling up with ideas, but when it comes time for me to actually sit down and write about them, nothing happens.

Blinking cursor, white screen. No words.

I admit I've been under a fair amount of stress lately, which I would normally be blogging about but since most of it is family or work-related, it doesn't really have a place out here on the interwebz. Because while I have no problem airing my dirty personal laundry for the world to see, I'm not so sure that my employer or, ya know, my family, would appreciate that same courtesy.  

Although it would be nice to finally say, "Well, mom, you always DID ride me about doing the laundry... so I aired yours, too!"

With the new school year upon us, it is entirely possible that Andrew and I will finally, grudgingly, give part of our paychecks up to Comcast and find ourselves with cable and internet at home. Homeslice has to do his homework, after all. I'm hoping that once that happens (or even if I just get a new laptop so that can record my random musings WITHOUT an old, rickety desk chair digging into my coccyx), quality posting on a regular schedule shall commence.

In the meantime, thanks for bearing with me. I know how irritating it is to have that, "...and THEN what happened?" feeling, and I'm probably losing a lot of readers with the constant question of whether or not I'll be in the posting mood on any given week, day or hour.

So thank you!! You guys are awesome.

3 comments:

  1. I saw an ad on the T today for student specials at Comcast-- get on that pronto so you can share in my mindless Sundays of Sex & the City marathons on E!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope things get better for you, I totally respect the whole no airing of laundry thing.

    I love that you always have a notepad on you, thats cute :) They have adorable little ones at B&N. I need to buy one to take on my trip to Europe!

    PS-Someone found my blog by googline "The Caitie Experiment" and "Facebook" Um, whaaa?

    ReplyDelete