Andrew and I drove down Friday night after a pitstop at not one, but TWO Marathon Sports locations to pick up new running shoes. I was hoping to make it until early September with the pair I had but, unfortunately for my wallet, my super flat feet said otherwise. :( I'm planning to do a full review of my new sneaks soon, but since I've only run one long, 5-mile run in them, I want to give them a fair shake and need to do some more mileage before sharing my opinion with the world.
After a bright-and-early wakeup for that 5-miler, we had big plans for the day: a real, true, New England-style Clambake! We loaded up the truck with SO MUCH STUFF, then schlepped it all to a local island. One large hole, a bunch of rocks, some newspaper, seaweed, a wet tarp and 6 hours of fun in the sun later, dinner was served!
| The "oven" -- SO COOL! |
| Cheesecloth packages full of lobster, mussels, clams, shrimp, onions, potatoes and corn. |
| But it wasn't a rock... it was a rock LOBSTER! |
| Butta melted in a tin pan over hot coals. |
We were all STUFFED afterward, but my family has a saying that, thankfully, Andrew's clan subscribes to as well: There's ALWAYS room for ice cream dessert! After indulging in that classic campfire delicacy, the Smore, it was getting pretty late, and so , salty and satisfied, we packed up and set off into the sunset.
The food, the weather, the company, the sunset, the stillness that settled over the water in the moonlight....
Saturday was sheer perfection.
Wow, you all were roughing it! I've been camping once but kinda want to go again. And you all don't like the lobster? Craziness I tell you. If I could afford it, I would eat it everyday. Thansk for putting the B 52's in my head!
ReplyDeleteAll day, Andrew, his mom, aunt and I were all joking that this was the closest we ever cared to come to camping. His brother (who informed me over the weekend that he Twitter-stalked the shit out of me and found the blog, so if he's reading, HAPPY BERTDAY!) is a crazy person and has ACTUALLY camped on that island.
ReplyDeleteHahahaha true story: Andrew LOVES "Rock Lobster".
I love the Cape and I love clam bakes! SO jealous of your weekend!
ReplyDeleteI love clambakes. I'll eat your lobster for you!
ReplyDelete"down the Cape" hahahaha New Englandddddd.
ReplyDeleteI love lobster. Like love, love, love. When I was two, I ordered my own lobster for dinner while out a restaurant, which my parents quickly changed to something lame like spaghetti. I also don't turn down swordfish and clams - yum.