I've been spending my Friday inhaling coffee by the bucketful and crossing things off of my work-related To Do list like a crazy person. It's cute; I imagine I look like a chihuahua on speed as I whip my rolly chair around and knock over all of the pink/green/yellow accessories with which I've spent the past two weeks painstakingly decorating my desk area. Seriously, I even got the go-ahead from my boss to purchase these babies:
![]() |
| [Source] |
-------
I feel like I've been on a bit of a "write what I feel" kick lately, and while that seems to be working out for the best, I feel like it's been FOR-EV-ER since I did a proper Friday Confessional.
There are some bigger confessions that I have planned, both of the entertaining and the more serious variety, but I started to work on some of them and then realized that I'm not in the right mindset at the moment to really give them the attention they deserve. I find that happening a lot with my posts lately; I'll know exactly what subject I want to write about, but just don't have the time or energy to give the topic my full attention. I could totally half-ass some of those posts, but I feel like that wouldn't just be shortchanging my readers (holla!), but also myself. Because I like writing about that stuff, and I like the feeling of putting out quality posts more than I care about hitting some arbitrary "schedule" or "deadline" I've set.
Thankfully, I have some mini-confessions to make today, which require neither a ton of attention nor a ton of time. And so, I do hereby confess:
- I LOATHE having bolded, unread emails in my inbox. It makes me feel all squirmy inside and I have to either read them or delete them in order to feel "right" again. Before I switched to Office 2007, I would literally comb my Outlook account for the sole, unread email blemishing my inbox for more time than I care to admit.
- At least six times a week, I inadvertently look at the clock and it will read 9:11. Some people would take this as a bad omen, but for me, it's always a source of comfort. My beloved Gramma passed away on 9/11/06, and every single time I see it on the clock, I make sure to say "Hi!" and thank her for checking in on me.
- Andrew and I make up names for people in our neighborhood all the time, usually because we find out their names after we've been consuming adult beverages and then forget what they are. "Ann-Marie" is our favorite waitress at our local watering hole, even though her name is Sarah. Likewise, "Not Chris" is the door man at said establishment. He totally LOOKS like a Chris, but we have no idea what his actual name is despite asking him on several occasions. Sometimes, this little quirk gets us in trouble. I once made the mistake of referring to one of the brothers who own the packie across the street as "Mike Sullivan" to his face.... even though his name is neither Mike nor Sullivan. He looked at me like I was crazy, but still sold me my wine. No harm, no foul.
- In addition to the "unread email" quirk I mentioned above, there are a few other scenarios that legitimately induce a nervous tic in me from time to time. For starters, I get physically uncomfortable if my bed isn't made, and will 100% make it even if I get in to it 30 seconds later. I also feel compelled to straighten things that are askew, which leaves me straightening the damn frames at work every single day. Lastly, I can't just crumple up a paper wrapper for anything -- I have to fold it into a little triangle or I feel "off."
Now that I sound like a raving lunatic, that's enough of that.
Do you have any weird neuroses that drive you absolutely bonkers? I love learning about other people's odd quirks; it makes me feel better about my own!
Have a great weekend!

I have three different spatulas in my utensil drawer & one is specifically for baked goods and oats, etc. I'm paranoid that some sort of savory flavor will get on my spatula and ruin a pot of oats. Insane much?
ReplyDeleteI daydream/reimagine situations a lot, which if you know me IRL, you'd know is really weird, because I am the most down to earth, levelheaded person ever.
Those scissors are baller! Where does one find scissors like that? I dont need a pair but can justify one with the rhinestone action it has going on.
ReplyDeleteI am the same way without my emails, if I see unread ones, I must go through them that instance. It also drives me batty when people leave cabinets half way opened in the kitchen and don't close them all the way.