However, as Melissa pointed out yesterday, there's something inherently more stressful about "I have to get this shit done so people can get their paychecks and feed their children/cats/selves!" than there is about "omg! guyz! My blogging schedule (or lack thereof?) is totes stressin' me out!". And so blogging has taken a backseat for the past few weeks, because I prefer another method of stress relief when I find time to come up for air.
Basically, all I've been doing lately is reading in my spare time. It's the single best escape from life's insanity that I've ever found; I got away from my crazy family by doing it at age 3 and I avoid the stress of work by doing it at 26. I'm actually convinced that part of the reason I managed NOT to lose my shit during my breakdown year and drop out of college is because I was forced to take a large chunk of my day and devote it specifically to the task of reading. Some of it was monotonous (Dracula), some was hilarious (Shamela), some game-changers (On the Road, Uncle Tom's Cabin) and some had the opposite effect than expected (loved Hope Leslie and finally, the third time, Wuthering Heights; hated Native Speaker and Dog Soldiers). All were pivotal in helping me keep my sanity during a time that otherwise would have crushed my soul.
My family has always joked that for someone with a degree in English Literature and a concentration in Victorian and Gothic canon, I read more
Not exactly Bronte or Austin, but entertaining and it gets the job done.
Lest you worry that I only read chick lit and young adult fare, have no fear -- while rooting around everywhere to find my copy of Voyager, the third book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, and loudly voicing my frustration that I "had nothing to read" (from the girl whose living room is beginning to look like an episode of Hoarders: Barnes and Noble Edition), Andrew piped up that I could borrow one of the books he had bought on our last
He hadn't even read it yet, but I had dibbsed it mere seconds after he bought it, so I was pumped. We haven't seen the show (holla to no cable/internet!), so it was all totally new to me, but I could. not. put. it. down. I finished it yesterday and am gleefully plotting my Targaryon-style takeover of my parents' tv and $200 cable package for 48 hours of GoT marathon viewing. Thankfully, I also found Voyager about two days after I embarked on the madness of GoT, and am now happily engrossed in
If you're keeping score, that means I've been hauling around a collective 2,000 pages of fantasy fiction in my purse.
I might be a nerd.
One day, in my own fantasy world where funding has been preserved for all (no progress reports required), I swear I am going to get around to posting those book reviews I promised awhile ago. In the meantime, here's a hint regarding what one of those reviews might be about:
![]() |
| [Source] |
Read any good books lately? Do tell!
I'm always on the lookout for recommendations!

Glad to see a post from you, friend. It was on my to-do list for today to shoot you an email and say hi, but instead I get to blog comment ya.
ReplyDeleteI'm loving The Hunger Games. I read book 1 on Wednesday and Book 2 on Thursday, so I guess I'm right on track to read #3 today. Oh days off, I adore you. In terms of other books I've read lately, there haven't been any, even though I've got a stack of widely loved ones on my bedside table to tackle (The Kitchen House, included). The only time I've been reading is on my lunch break from big-stupid-chain-hardware-store and last week that was Diana Gabaldon. It's sort of scary how much we have in common... Anyways, the Outlander series is great - I am still re-reading the last one and since it's so massive, I think it'll be lunch hour entertainment next week too.
I love love LOVED Hunger Games and I am slowly working my way through Game of Thrones. I am such a scifi/fantasy girl. If you're looking for something up that alley, Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series and Crystal Singer series are quick and fun reads!
ReplyDeleteI also very much like Gaiman, as well as Tanya Huff's Summon the Keeper trilogy (though, the first is the best of the three.) And Deborah Chester's Alien Chronicles trilogy.
I am a nerd.
I love reading. I just finished "Sex On The Moon" it's a true story about a man who stole moon rocks from NASA and proceeded to have sex with his gf on top of them. It's a really good book and was written by the guy who wrote Bringing Down The House and The Accidental Millionares (Social Network movie was based on that book).
ReplyDeleteI love all of these suggestions! Especially re: the Hunger Games.... I'll have to get on writing that review with my thoughts, stat!
ReplyDeleteMelissa, Sex on the Moon sounds really interesting! After reading your review yesterday, it's definitely on my list.
Caitlin, the first fantasy book I ever read was "Neverwhere" -- LOVED IT!